In today’s world, you just never know what will happen and when it will happen! We hear about “the end of the world” scenarios on a daily basis. Anything from continued and deadly terrorist attacks to the possibility of a complete failure of the electrical grid to the devastation left behind by natural disasters. One way to prepare yourself and your family is to keep the best vitamins for men & women and OTC medicines on hand at all times.
Best Vitamins For Men & Women and OTC Medicines
More and more families across the country (and abroad) are stocking up on much needed supplies like food, water, and other necessities such as batteries, flashlights, and various survival gear. Retail sales of stores like Costco and Sam’s Club are booming due to the fact that customers can buy many needed supplies in bulk…anything from canned goods to toilet paper to batteries. A prepper’s dream!
Often times, preppers tend to leave a certain item or two off their list. Two items that are commonly (unintentionally) left off their lists are vitamins and over the counter medications. Before buying any OTC medications is it important to know that often times, retail stores such as Wal-mart and/or your local grocery store have a set limit on certain over the counter medications (mainly cold medicines) per customer. It may be necessary to stock up on certain OTC medications gradually. For example, every time you shop, grab a box of that particular medicine. It’ll add up quickly.
In this article, I’ll share with you my top 10 vitamins (and their health benefits) you should stock up on. I’ll also share with you my recommendations for over the counter medications that will prove beneficial for you and your whole family!
*Disclaimer: The following are suggestions based on personal experience. As ever, for medical care, consult your doctor.
My Top 10 Vitamins To Stock Up On
1. Vitamin C – This vitamin contains antioxidant properties that will keep your immune system nice and strong so you can fight illnesses such as the flu and colds.
2. Vitamin A – This vitamin is great for healthy vision, a strong immune system, and strong bone growth.
3. Vitamin D – Also known as ‘the sunshine vitamin’. This vitamin aids in the absorption of calcium and phosphorus, which keeps your bones nice and strong!
4. Vitamin E – This vitamin is another nutrient that acts as an antioxidant to help boost your immune system. It also helps with the flow of blood and plays a key role in repairing the body’s tissues. (Ladies, it’s also great for your skin, nails, and hair!)
5. Vitamin K – This vitamin is important for ensuring that your blood clots. If you cut yourself and your are low in vitamin K, then it can turn into a very serious situation.
6. Folic Acid – This vitamin is a crucial one for women’s health – especially pregnant women. It helps prevent neural tube birth defects. It also helps with the reproduction of new cells in the body and can help prevent anemia.
7. Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) – This vitamin helps your body to make use of the carbohydrates you take in on a daily basis – great in providing you with the energy needed on a daily basis.
8. Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) – This vitamin helps your body break down and process the protein, carbs, and fats that you take in on a daily basis. It’s also great for a healthier skin complexion.
9. Vitamin B3 (Niacin) – This vitamin is excellent as it provides you with energy and helps to maintain your nervous system. It also promotes a healthier digestive system.
10. Biotin – This vitamin helps your body to maintain your red blood supply. Also aids in allowing your body to absorb other nutrients that your body takes in daily.
Some folks prefer not to take several different vitamins daily and prefer to take a daily multivitamin…and that’s ok too! Also, don’t forget about the kiddos! Make sure they take their multivitamins daily as well.
The importance behind taking your vitamins is to keep yourself and your loved ones nice and healthy, which is so important during a SHTF situation!
Now, because your vitamin ‘stash’ will eventually run out, consider stocking up on healthy foods that have a long shelf life. Check out these great articles from us here at Survival Life for some great ideas, advice, and information.
My List of Over The Counter Medications for You and Your Family
1. Pain Relievers – Acetaminophen (Tylenol), Ibuprofen (Advil), and Aspirin (Bayer or BC Powder) are the most common.
2. Cold Medicines – My personal favorites are Sudafed and Mucinex.
3. Allergy Medicines – Benadryl, Zyrtec, and Claritin are the most common.
For children under the age of 12, please choose children’s over the counter medications OR consult their pediatrician.
If you prefer natural remedies instead of over the counter medications, check out these great articles from us here at Survival Life.
If you have a recommendation for best vitamins for men and women, over the counter medications, or a natural remedy that you would like to share, please share with us in the comment section below.
For awesome survival gear you can’t make at home, check out the Survival Life Store!
If you’re looking for some products to help you stay prepared with the best vitamins for men & women and OTC medicines to keep on hand, check these out!
- If you’re looking for a natural multivitamin, this Pure Vitamin Club Multivitamin is perfect.
- As mentioned above, Biotin is a must have for your emergency vitamin kit. Get 5000mcg of Biotin in a veggie softgel here!
- If you’re looking for a comprehensive book on various vitamins to build your own emergency medicine kit for when SHTF, the Earl Mindell’s New Vitamin Bible is for you!
This post was originally published on this site